George B. Parker Woodland Wildlife Refuge
Address: Maple Valley Road, Coventry, RI 02827 (parking lot is near the house at 1670 Maple Valley Road)
Hours: Open sunrise to sunset
Trails: 7 miles
Trail Difficulty: Moderate to Challenging
Dogs are prohibited. Click here to learn why and review other trail guidelines.
Visitors to Parker Woodland Wildlife Refuge find an extensive trail system through diverse terrain that can take most of a day to fully explore. Revolutionary War-era carriage roads and historic rock cairns take hikers back in time. Trails are hilly, interspersed with several calm, flowing streams. The 860 acre property includes some areas of rocky landscape that are perfect for strenuous exercise as well as wildlife observation.
- Habitat: forests, brooks, fields, rocky terrain
- Wildlife to watch for: fox, fisher, mink, deer
- Birds commonly found: Barred Owl, Great Horned Owl, Wood Duck, Northern Waterthrush, Pileated Woodpecker, Worm-eating Warbler, Ovenbird, Baltimore Oriole, Rose-breasted Grosbeak
- Offerings: Birdwatching, Programs
- Historic rock cairns dot the landscape