Kickemuit River via Touisset Marsh Wildlife Refuge
Touisset Marsh Wildlife Refuge
Address: 99 Touisset Road, Warren, RI 02885
Hours: Open sunrise to sunset
Trails: 1 mile
Trail Difficulty: easy, but can be seasonally wet and muddy
The Touisset Marsh Wildlife Refuge offers picturesque views of the Kickemuit River that are well worth the trip. The property is full of hardwood forests and fields of flowers that attract butterflies in the summer months. The shorter length and flat terrain make this an easy stroll for children and families. In addition to hiking and bird watching, it is an ideal destination in the winter months for snowshoeing and cross-country skiing.
- Habitat: hardwood forests, open fields, salt marsh
- Wildlife to watch for: deer, red fox, harbor seal (off shore)
- Birds commonly found: Eastern Bluebird, American Woodcock, Great Egret, Osprey, Snowy Egret, American Redstart, Common Yellowthroat, Indigo Bunting, Tree Swallows
- Offerings: Birdwatching, Snowshoeing/cross-country skiing
- Scenic views of Kickemuit River and salt marsh areas
We encourage proper use of the refuge and stewardship of the gifts it offers us to enjoy.
The following are prohibited from the refuge: dogs, horses and other pets; picking or collecting of anything besides litter; picnicking or camping; all vehicles (including bicycles) beyond the parking lot; excessive noisemaking; and alcoholic beverages.