Powder Mills Wildlife Refuge
Audubon Wildlife Refuges remain open (subject to change). Please review our trail safety guidelines before your visit.
Powder Mill Ledges Wildlife Refuge
and Audubon Headquarters
Address: 12 Sanderson Road (Rt.5), Smithfield, RI 02917
Phone: (401) 949-5454
Hours: Refuge open sunrise to sunset daily, headquarters office and restrooms open Monday - Friday from 9 am - 5 pm
Trails: 2.5 miles
Trail Difficulty: easy to moderate
Are Dogs Allowed? No - click here to learn why and review other trail guidelines.
Powder Mill Ledges is home to 100 acres of habitat graced with deep woodlands and interesting rock outcroppings. You will also find the Audubon Society of Rhode Island headquarters at this refuge. The location serves as a hub for nature hikes, programs, lectures and events. In addition to hiking and bird watching, it is an ideal winter destination for snowshoeing.
- Habitat: deep woodlands, small pond, meadows, pine forest and rock outcroppings
- Wildlife to watch for: red fox, grey fox, spring peeper, grey tree frog, green frog, painted turtle, deer
- Birds commonly found: Wild Turkey, Cooper's Hawk, Barred Owl, Great Horned Owl, Eastern Screech Owl, Pine Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Ovenbird, Red-eyed Vireo
- Offerings: Birdwatching, Birthday Parties, Programs/events, Snowshoeing/cross-country skiing, Restrooms (open Monday-Friday 9 am - 5 pm only)
- Available for birthday parties and facility rentals. Contact Kim Calcagno at email@example.com or (401) 949-5454 x3021.