Powder Mill Ledges Wildlife Refuge
and Audubon Headquarters
Address: 12 Sanderson Road (Rt.5), Smithfield, RI 02917
Phone: (401) 949-5454
Hours: Refuge trails open sunrise to sunset daily. Administrative/headquarters office open Monday - Friday, 9:30 am - 4:30 pm.
Trails: 2.5 miles
Trail Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Dogs are prohibited. Click here to learn why and review other trail guidelines.
Powder Mill Ledges is home to 100 acres of habitat graced with deep woodlands and interesting rock outcroppings. In addition to hiking and bird watching, it is an ideal winter destination for snowshoeing.
You will also find the Audubon Society of Rhode Island administrative headquarters office at this refuge, where scheduled nature hikes, programs, lectures and events take place – click here for the events calendar. Trail visitors are welcome to utilize the building's restrooms and water refill stations during open hours.
Looking for the Audubon Nature Center and Aquarium and Nature Gift Shop? Learn more about this facility, located in Bristol, RI!
- Habitat: deep woodlands, small pond, meadows, pine forest and rock outcroppings
- Wildlife to watch for: red fox, grey fox, spring peeper, grey tree frog, green frog, painted turtle, deer
- Birds commonly found: Wild Turkey, Cooper's Hawk, Barred Owl, Great Horned Owl, Eastern Screech Owl, Pine Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Ovenbird, Red-eyed Vireo
- Offerings: Birdwatching, Birthday Parties, Programs/events, Snowshoeing/cross-country skiing. Restrooms are available for visitor use when staff is present during operating hours (M-F, 9:30 am - 4:30 pm) - just ring the doorbell!
- Available for birthday parties and facility rentals. Contact Kim Calcagno at email@example.com or (401) 949-5454 x3021.