The Pollinator Working Group
Audubon is a member of the Pollinator Working Group and provides administrative and logistical support for the group.
Recognizing the importance of pollinators and the extreme stresses they face, the Rhode Island House of Representatives directed the RI Department of Environmental Management to create the Pollinator Working Group in 2016 (read the bill here: H 8265). The group was renewed by House Resolution in 2017 (read the bill here: H 6256).
The Working Group is charged with reporting to the Director of DEM and the House of Representatives in February 2018 on the scientific understanding of:
- the condition and practices affecting pollinator populations.
- the condition and practices affecting the maintenance, protection and enhancement of pollinator habitat.
- opportunities for expanding pollinator habitat on state owned property.
- Rhode Island’s pesticide and apiary laws and regulations.
- training strategies to publicize and coordinate public programs directed at pollinator health and habitat.
- strategies to fund pollinator monitoring and habitat enhancement.
The RI Department of Environmental Management maintains
a web site for the Pollinator Working Group:
Learn More Here